Garbage City of Cairo, Egypt (26 pics)
Cairo has a population of 8 million people.
Most of the city's garbage is collected by Zabbaleen.
Zabbaleen is unofficial labor force which has been acting of its own volition for nearly 100 years.
They collect, sort, recycle, sell and use the garbage.
They make deal with homeowners and collect the garbage for a small fee or free.
Then they bring it to their "garbage city" outside Cairo.
Even house roofs there are full of garbage.
Zabbaleen are Coptic Christians, minority in Islamic Egypt.
With the growth of the population the city authorities decided to hire European companies to deal with garbage.
But the locals still think that Zabbaleen do it better and cheaper.
- This Is What Happens To People Who Share Their Names With Celebrities (8 pics)
- Guys Who Went From Normal To Creepy In Just A Few Texts (15 pics)
- When Kanye West Does Normal Everyday Things (18 pics)
- Outrageous News Headlines That Prove The World Isn't Normal (26 pics)
- Celebrities Who Look Normal in Real Life (32 pics)